Saturday, March 5, 2011

So Long And Thanks For The Fish

I attend a Transgender support group in New Orleans once a month. I recommend that everyone who is Trans, attend a group. The internet can only help so much. You need that personal interaction, not to mention the friendships that can develop. They are really valuable. Anyway, what a great group! My first group meeting wasn't the awkward: "Hi, my name is Caroline, and I'm Transgender" style group. Still, it is a group and you might have butterflies, regardless.
This group has a bunch of great people, some are there every meeting, others you might see only so often.
Some are characters, bigger-than-life character. I sit there and wonder sometimes, that this must be a really good acid trip. My reality is sometimes stranger than fiction, especially in New Orleans. I'm no better, adding to the farcical by introducing myself every meeting as Caroline, but looking like her boyfriend.
The truth is that there are a lot of different people in this world and most of them live in New Orleans. I like to think of New Orleans as a model for any city in Douglas Adams' four book trilogy "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", not bad just different and mostly amusing.
Back to the point, What I have found is that these wonderful, courageous  people just want to stop living a lie and be themselves. Many for the first time. Many have or will end up giving up everything, to do so.
I am trying to prepare myself for this very real possibility. My name is Caroline, and I'm Transgender.

No comments:

Post a Comment