Friday, September 2, 2011

Soaring

I think one of the most common questions I hear and the one I have asked a lot is: "Is it worth it?" The answer I've received from everyone is that "Yes, without a doubt, it's worth it", "I've lost everything, but it's still worth it" is another common response.

How do I ask these people how they can be sure?

It's not a one-shot deal, this coming out business I'm learning. Extracting myself from this cocoon takes time, fierce resolve, a willingness to be exquisitely vulnerable. It feels safer to stay in the space I'm used to, cramped and dark but familiar. Everyone sees this inspiring transformation from catepillar to butterfly, but did you know that the process of unfurling my wings hurts like hell?
I am stepping out of my familiar, comfortable life into the vast, uncharted territory of another. I am stepping  with intention into that wide-open space, turning my face to the sky, throwing my arms and my eyes and my heart wide open and just praying that I've got enough grace to accept all that comes my way.
I am standing here, more exposed that I ever thought possible and saying, "This is my truth"
And, I'm just beginning this journey.

Here is a quote from someone who has come out of their cocoon:
It has been the most liberating and the most shattering of experiences. I am free, soaring high, authentic and true, and I am broken, on my knees, sobbing tears that flow without end. I am both more than and less than I was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment